Are Steel Targets Safe to Use?
Quality steel targets are safe. The target systems need to be made of AR550 steel and designed to deflect bullet splatter in a safe direction. When steel targets are built the correct way and are used with common sense they are very safe and effective.
Reasons for Shooting Steel Targets
- Immediate validation of target hit or miss
- Gratifying ring sound with a visible target reaction
- Steel targets last as long as you want them to! If you take care of them, they will take care of you
- Steel targets mean more time shooting, less time messing with targets
- Round after round, steel targets keep you looking down the barrel
- Once you put a quality steel target on your range, you don’t have to move it due to any kind of weather. Especially if they are galvanized, like Grizzly targets
- Grizzly’s Steel Targets are easy to put together and store because they are modular and stackable
- American Made
- More time shooting, more fun shooting, costs less over time. Period.
Types of Steel Used in Targets
Quality steel targets are made from AR500 and AR550 steel. AR500 is a hardened steel that’s commonly used for targets, military/LEO armor, armored vehicles, and in many other industries such as mining. It’s tempered and designed to be abrasion resistant, which makes it ideal for top wear applications. AR500 steel, with its high Brinell Hardness Number (BHN), is ideal for targets due to its functionality and safety. AR500 steel provides much needed impact resistance, ensuring shots will safely hit the target’s surface and follow a normal rebound pattern.
When Steel Targets Can Be a Danger
When targets are made from softer steels, deformations occur. In conjunction with inferior steels, targets that are improperly designed carry a much higher possibility to cause an unusual ricochet that could cause severe injury.
How to Shoot at Steel Targets Safely
Best practices for shooting steel targets include:
- Always utilize a top quality target that is manufactured with AR500 steel and has solid functionality to deflect splatter into a safe direction.
- Choose the right ammo — when using normal rounds like FMJ, Ball or frangible, the bullet breaks into many thousands of harmless fragments making it much safer to use.
- Follow distance guidelines — we can’t say enough how important it is to follow all safe distance guidelines to ensure the safety of yourself and others.